Vehicles, Bicycles, and Other Wheeled Devices Impoundment Under California Vehicle Code
Impounded (towed) vehicles
Vehicles that have been towed or immobilized (booted) will be stored and not released until all outstanding citations, towing, and storage fees are paid.
To obtain vehicle release, visit the UCLA Transportation lobby between the hours of 7:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. All outstanding penalties and fees against the vehicle, including payment of a $150 administrative fee, plus a $20.00 storage fee per calendar day must be paid prior to release of the vehicle. Payments must be made by cash, Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, & Discover ONLY.
For all questions and concerns regarding impounded or immobilized vehicles, or the amount due, you may contact the Citation Review and Adjudication Office by phone at (310) 825-2029, between the hours of 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Note: Vehicles can only be released to the listed registered owner of the vehicle as shown on the DMV vehicle registration.
bicycle and other wheeled devices impoundment overview
The enforcement of bicycles and other wheeled devices ensures that parking areas remain available for the parking of bicycles that are actively used on a daily basis and that parking areas do not impede or obstruct accessible or pedestrian access.
UCLA Parking Enforcement removes abandoned bicycles from racks and non-designated bicycle parking areas in order to maintain an adequate number of secure parking spaces and thereby discourage bicycle theft. Bicyclists must comply with all parking rules and regulations, including finding a legal parking area. UCLA Parking Enforcement also removes and impounds electric scooters and e-bikes left and/or parked illegally anywhere within the UCLA campus premises.
Bicycle and other wheeled devices Parking Regulations
- Bicycles and any other wheeled device (as defined by the California Vehicle Code) can only be parked on the University campus on bicycle racks, in bicycle lockers, or in areas designated by bicycle parking signs.
- No bicycle or any other wheeled device can be parked, stored, or left in any lobby, hallway, or room of any building unless the area is specifically designated for bicycle parking.
- Bicycles and/or any other wheeled device cannot be chained or otherwise locked, or attached to any handrail, tree, shrubbery, door, signpost, lamp, telephone pole, lamppost, fence, or other object not maintained or designated for the purpose of securing bicycles.
- Bicycles and/or and any other wheeled device not part of the Bruin Bike Share system cannot be chained or otherwise locked, or attached to any rack at a UCLA Bruin Bike Share hub.
- A 72-hour notice will be placed on bicycles or any other wheeled devices that are parked at a bike rack and appear abandoned (rusted, and/or have missing parts), stored (parked for more than one day without being moved), or in non-working condition.
- If the bicycle or wheeled device is not removed within 72 hours from the date of the notice, the device will be impounded.
- Bicycles and/or any wheeled device, including electric scooters and e-bikes, blocking walkways, accessible or emergency access, or parked outside of designated parking areas, may be impounded immediately without notice. Bicycles and/or any other wheeled devices may also be removed from racks which are being relocated due to construction and in posted areas prohibiting the parking of wheeled devices.
- Any authorized University personnel may remove the securing mechanism using whatever reasonable measures are necessary to impound bicycles or any other wheeled device. The University is not liable for the cost of repair or replacement of any securing device, bicycle, or any other wheeled device.
- Impounded bikes will be stored for 90 days.
Impounded Bicycles and other wheeled devices
If you believe your bicycle or any other type of wheeled device has been impounded, contact the UCLA Citation Review and Adjudication Office with the description and last known location of the bicycle or wheeled device. They will confirm possession of the device and arrange for you to retrieve it.
The following materials must be presented:
- Valid photo identification
- Proof of ownership of the bicycle (e.g., receipt, registration, key to lock)
- Release fee amount for e-scooters ($75)
- Release fee amount for bicycles, e-bikes, and other wheeled devices ($150)
Stop by the UCLA Transportation lobby at:
555 Westwood Plaza, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Bicycles and other wheeled devices may only be released during business hours. UCLA Transportation accepts cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and AMEX. No other forms of payment will be accepted. If your bicycle was parked and impounded within the residence halls areas, you may also contact the Covel Commons Front Desk at (310) 825-5116.
Removal of Locks and Locking Devices
Locks or locking devices left on bicycle racks, bicycle lockers, or parking devices not securing a bicycle, or left attached to any handrail, tree, shrubbery, door, signpost, lamp or lamppost, telephone pole, fence or other object not maintained or designated for the purpose of securing bicycles may be removed by authorized University personnel.
Any authorized University personnel may remove the securing mechanism using whatever reasonable measures are necessary to impound the bicycle. The University is not liable for the cost of repair or replacement of any securing device.
If you suspect your bicycle has been stolen, call the UCLA Police Department at (310) 825-1491 and file a report.
Phone: (310) 794-7433
555 Westwood Plaza, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1360
Monday – Friday
7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Citation Review and Administration
Phone: (310) 825-2029
555 Westwood Plaza, Suite 106
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1354
Monday – Friday
12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Covel Commons Front Desk
Phone: (310) 825-5116
University Police Department
Phone: (310) 825-1496
Quicksilver Towing, Inc.
Phone: (310) 478-1201