Student Permit Exemption

Student Permit Exemption Process

UCLA has an extremely limited supply of single occupancy vehicle permits for registered students. We strongly encourage students to plan in advance how to access campus with UCLA Transportation’s commuter programs, which offer discounted public transit passes and vanpooling. For more information, contact a customer service representative through UCLA Transportation’s new Live Chat Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.  

If you have extenuating circumstances that you feel necessitate your need to have a car on campus, then you must apply online for a parking exemption. Exemptions must be submitted online by the parking application deadline. You must submit the required supporting documentation based on the exemption criteria. 

Eligibility for Exemption

  • Residence hall students with a local, verifiable, current and continuous off-campus job, paid internship, or academic need related to their major.
  • Residence hall students with the extenuating circumstances listed below.
  • Graduate students living in Hilgard Apartments who have been waitlisted for parking.
  • Commuter students with the extenuating circumstances listed below.
  • Students seeking accommodations on the basis of an accessibility need who do not have a Disabled Placard must apply for parking through the Center for Accessible Education. Exemption requests submitted as a “Special Permit Request” will not be reviewed and any included documentation will be deleted.
  • Students that have a financial hardship may go to the Student in Crisis website to inquire about qualifying for a parking permit.

Exemption offers are considered on a case-by-case basis dependent upon available parking allocations in Parking Structures 3, 4, 7, Lot 11, Dykstra De Neve (DD), and Sunset Village (SV).

Exemption Reason  CriteriaRequired Documentation
Child CareApplicant must be a legal parent or guardian. Child must be newborn-12 years of age, currently attending out-of-home school or day care, or have special needs.
  • Birth certificate, legal documentation, or letter of live birth
  • Verification of enrollment in school, day care, etc.
Illness of Family MemberApplicant must be an eligible care provider for a spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition. The following forms must be completed:Not Accepted: Care directive, medical records, hospital admission and discharge papers, medical appointment schedule, doctor's letter or prescription note, x-rays, third party letter, disabled placard, supplemental security income, or state supplement payment
Recent DeathApplicant must have a recent death of a parent, spouse, or child within the previous or current quarter.
  • Death certificate
Academic Need/
Professional School
Applicant must provide original documentation of unpaid work study or internship required as part of a curriculum.
  • Proof of enrollment in work study/employment verification
  • Course Code Contract
  • Program/internship verification
  • Letter from the department
Hilgard Graduate HousingApplicants must have a contract with UCLA graduate housing and applied for parking.
  • Letter of parking waitlist

Residence Hall Students Only

  • Job Commute


Applicant must have a local, verifiable, current, continuous, and off-campus paid job or paid internship.Must provide one of the following:
  • Two most recent pay stubs
  • Bank statement verifying direct deposits
  • Two company-canceled checks* (front and back copy is required) and letter from employer or quarterly 1099-MISC
    • *A canceled check is a check that has been redeemed and endorsed by a bank
    • Letter from employer must be on company letterhead verifying your employment status, date of hire, and pay duration

How to File for the Online Parking Exemption Application

  1. Log in to the Bruin ePermit Portal
  2. Click on "Special Permit Requests”
  3. Select “Dorm/Student Exempt Request”
  4. Specify in the “notes” section the criteria for your exemption (see above)
  5. Attach required documentation

Note: Parking exemption remains confidential and all supporting documentation is destroyed at the end of each quarter. Decisions regarding exemption requests will be sent via email.

Customer Service
Phone: (310) 794-7433


555 Westwood Plaza, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90095