Commuting by LADOT Transit

UCLA students and employees can purchase quarterly passes for City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) Commuter Express buses at a discount. 

If you are a member of a UCLA Vanpool or a carpool with a UCLA Carpool Permit, you are not eligible to receive a subsidized LADOT transit pass.

LADOT riders receive three (3) monthly passes, valid for travel on LADOT buses throughout the academic quarter. These passes are not accepted on any Metro Bus or Metro Rail lines. However, LADOT riders can request a transfer coupon from LADOT bus drivers to complete their trip on another Metro Bus of Metro Rail line for only $0.50.

If a rider regularly rides two or more transit agencies like LADOT Commuter Express and Metro Bus, the EZ transit pass is a good monthly option. Please see the related information tab for more information. 

Purchase an LADOT pass online or by visiting the Central Ticket Office, open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Bring your BruinCard with you. You can pay by cash, debit or payroll deduction.

Please note: Payroll deduction paperwork must be submitted 4 weeks prior to the valid date.

Buy or Renew Pass

Sales & Effective Dates

QuarterSales BeginEffective Dates
Fall (Oct, Nov, Dec)9/23/1910/1/19 – 12/31/19
Winter (Jan, Feb, Mar)12/9/191/1/20 – 3/31/20
Spring (Apr, May, Jun)3/23/204/1/20 - 6/30/20
Summer (Jul, Aug, Sep)6/22/207/1/20 - 9/30/20

Pass Prices for Three 31-Day Passes

Pass                                  fees
Zone 1Students $159, Employees $179
Zone 2Students $199, Employees $216
Zone 3Students $246, Employees $302

*This represents a subsidized rate partially paid for you by UCLA Transportation.

Rider Notes:

  • If you begin riding LADOT in the middle of a quarter, you can also purchase subsidized passes for what you need for the rest of that quarter. For example, if you begin riding in November, you can purchase two 31-day passes for November and December.
  • Pass protection allows you to replace your pass in the event that your TAP card is lost or stolen. In order to be eligible for pass protection, you will need to register your card by calling 1-866-TAPTOGO or by visiting If you do not register your TAP card, you will lose all passes loaded on that card if it is lost or stolen.

If you only ride LADOT occasionally and do not need a monthly pass, you can purchase a 20-trip booklet at the Central Ticket Office. These purchases, however, do not qualify for the subsidized rate.

UCLA Transportation

Email: [email protected]| Phone: (310) 794-7433

Central Ticket Office

Phone: (310) 825-2101