What is a Vanpool?
UCLA Vanpools are currently operating as possible to support medical and other essential functions.
UCLA Vanpools are groups of people who share their commute to campus in a program-provided vehicle. There are approximately 140 UCLA commuter vanpools from 80 Southern California communities coming to UCLA daily. Participants pay a monthly fare—subsidized up to 50% by UCLA Transportation.
- Drivers receive a monthly discount on the monthly program cost
- Full-time vanpoolers are entitled to the Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program
- Save money on gas, car maintenance, insurance, and parking permits
- Save commute time by taking advantage of carpool lanes
- Extend personal vehicle life
- Relax in a deluxe van equipped with air conditioning, reading lights, and reclining seats
- Reduce traffic congestion by taking more vehicles off the road
- Help the environment by reducing carbon emissions
Our Vanpool Incentive Program (VIP) offers free vanpooling for one month for select routes. This free trial is contingent upon the availability of seats for first time participants only. Try the VIP program and share your daily trip with other commuters.
|1. Sign up for the vanpool waitlist|
|2. Receive an offer|
|3. Attend a new passenger orientation|
For more information or to participate in this promotion, please contact our customer service team at [email protected] or (310) 794-7433. Please note: UCLA Transportation will not provide refunds to customers who joined the UCLA Vanpool Program prior to receiving this offer.
|1. Find out if you are you eligible to join|
|2. Apply to join a UCLA Vanpool through the Transportation Office|
|3. Attend an orientation session|
|4. Make your Payment|
Vanpooling is about sharing the drive. Active UCLA faculty, staff, and registered students over 25 years of age are eligible to drive a UCLA Vanpool. Drivers must be reliable and willing to communicate with passengers, co-drivers, and Bruin Commuter Programs (BCP) staff.
If you are a current participant who is interested in becoming a driver, please contact Bruin Commuter Programs (BCP) via email at [email protected] for more information. New participants must sign up for the vanpool waitlist through the UCLA Trip Planner.
Note for new drivers: Please do not proceed to next steps until contacted by BCP.
Drivers must meet the following DMV qualifications:
|1. Have a valid California driver license|
|2. Provide DMV history|
|3. Complete a DMV medical exam|
|4. Complete a road evaluation test|
|5. Schedule a new driver orientation|
UCLA Vanpool fares are based on zones defined by the daily commute miles of each van. Your monthly fare guarantees you a seat on the van and makes you eligible to receive benefits through the Bruin Commuter Club. Some benefits are not eligible to all participants and vanpool zones and fares are subject to change.
|UCLA Staff and Faculty|
However you choose to ride UCLA Vanpools, the modest fares are easily outweighed by personal, financial, and environmental benefits of vanpooling.
- Monthly fares are due on the 1st of every month.
- Late fees will be applied after business hours on the 8th of each month.
- Payroll deduction: Fares are deducted on a biweekly or monthly schedule
- 3 months pre-pay are available for vanpools. Please speak to a Bruin Commuter Program coordinator for more information.
Accepted Forms of Payment
- Credit Cards: We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Credit card payments are only accepted at the UCLA Transportation Lobby.
- Cash: Cash payments are only accepted at the UCLA Transportation Lobby.
- Check: Please make check payable to “UC Regents.” Check payments are accepted at the UCLA Transportation Lobby, by mail, or dropped in the “Express Drop Box” located in the Strathmore Building breezeway.
- Payroll Deduction: UCLA staff and faculty members eligible for payroll deduction may be eligible for additional tax savings.
If you need to change or transfer to a different vanpool:
1. Visit the UCLA Trip Planner
2. Sign up for your desired waitlist
|1. Download and fill out the cancellation form|
|2. Submit cancellation request|
Any outstanding payments must be made at the time of cancellation.
Even if you are only able to rideshare occasionally, consider vanpooling with a pre-purchased one-way vanpool voucher. Current UCLA students, staff, and faculty members can vanpool part-time on a space-available basis. Space availability is determined each day by individual vanpool drivers.
Please note: Part-time riders are not guaranteed a seat. It is your responsibility to think ahead and plan appropriately.
Here’s how to catch a part-time ride:
|1. Purchase a vanpool voucher|
|2. Contact Bruin Commuter Programs to get the vanpool driver(s) and route information|
|3. Confirm a seat|
|4. Meet at the designated location|
It is important to plan ahead and always have a backup commute option if you cannot ride the van.
Unused vouchers are non-refundable and do not expire.