Contactless payments have increased in popularity during the pandemic as they provide a safer way to pay. Widely adopted at stores and restaurants, mobile payment technology has recently arrived at transit agencies across LA including Metro, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, and Culver CityBus.
Here's how you can enjoy the convenience of paying transit fare with your phone:
- Download the TAP app from Google Play or the Apple Store
- Log in or create a TAP account
- If you already have a registered TAP card, if will appear in the Cards section. Scroll down and tap on "Transfer Card"
- Confirm that you want to transfer your card to your phone as it will deactivate your physical card
- If you don't already have a TAP card, tap on the add card icon at the top left and select "Add a TAP Card". Go through the prompts to select your desired card and make payment.
- When boarding, just wave your phone near the TAP dial and your fare will be deducted. Your phone doesn't even need to be unlocked, it just needs to be on.
Alternatively if you ride Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, fare can also be purchased using the Transit or Token Transit apps.
More information about the TAP app can be found on the TAP website.
Please note: UCLA's subsidized transit passes cannot be added to the TAP app.
Photo Credit: LA Metro