Summer is here, and the best way to arrive is via public transportation. Remember the clear skies and roads last spring? Beat the heat and traffic and have more fun with the affordable, sustainable alternative to driving and ride-hailing. Sit back and unwind with this list of summer outings you can reach by bus or rail.
- Bases Covered: Go Metro to Dodger Stadium by connecting with the Stadium Express at two convenient locations – Union Station and Harbor Gateway. Your Dodgers ticket is good for the fare!
- Dive In: Here's a refreshing guide to go Metro to the shore plus a list of transit-accessible public pools. You can also ride the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to the beach. Even better, bring your bike or rent one from a bike-share system to cruise one of the many adjacent bike paths.
- Where Summer Plays: Hollywood Bowl's Park & Ride service allows you to park in your neighborhood and ride directly to the Tinseltown amphitheater to hear performances by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and other acts.
- Peak Performances: Sunset Concerts at the Skirball Cultural Center are back this year and showcasing eclectic music in a hillside setting. Arrive early to view the center's exhibits. Take the Metro Rapid 734 or Metro Local 234.
- On Display: Roam museum halls once again with help from LA Metro or LADOT. Arrive at the Natural History Museum of L.A. County via Metro's Expo Line, which stops on both sides of NHMLA: Expo Park/USC and Expo/Vermont. Two LADOT Dash bus lines also have stops directly across the street from the museum: the Dash F and the Dash Southeast. The Getty Center and Getty Villa are also transit-accessible, offering an outstanding collection of paintings, sculptures, decorative arts, photography, and beautiful gardens.
- Ride the Movies: Get soaked on Jurassic Park: The Ride or sip an icy butterbeer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood to cool down. Take Metro Rail's Red Line to the Universal City/Studio City Station, then cross the bridge for the free shuttle up the hill
Hop aboard, the safe, summer fun is just beginning!
Photo Credit: Santa Monica Big Blue Bus